Centre Philou's mission is to provide specialized support in order to help and develop children with multiple disabilities, as a complement to public services.
Safran Program (21-29 years-old)The alternative education program Safran (Saffron) is addressed to young adults with multiple disabilities from 21 to 29 years-old.
Safran Program focus is to offer personalized educative activities. Young adults with disabilities receive continuous development services which they need, all integrated in one place. Services of “scholar” education, and daily life, motor and cognitive development, hygiene care, are possible thanks to our in-house educators. This program also allows parents to return on the labour market and to have a blossoming family life. An interdisciplinary and individualized approach is favoured, at the opposite of a multidisciplinary approach for groups. The care is centered on functional aspects and on the priorities accorded to the quality of life, social participation, and day-to-day autonomy, rather than on skills, abilities, education and qualifications. Safran’s approach answer to global and specific needs of the student by recognizing the interaction between his or her health and level of development. Even though the needs for rehabilitation and education are necessary, they are more situated in a social development and in the quality of life. It is specific objectives, measurable, and applicable in activities in the everyday life that are prioritized : the goal is to improve the young’s life quality, as well as his or her entourage.
Safran Program is available over 38 weeks, full or part time, from September to June.
Young adults from 21 to 29 years-old, Quebec residents, with multiple disabilities, and whose care can be delegated. Philou Center accepts the ones with gastrostomy, and tracheotomy; who are epileptic or having trouble to sleep; as well as those who require special care.
Safran Program is :
- Overall assessment of each student by a team of professionals (physiotherapist, occupational therapist, psycho-educator, special needs educator) and continuous follow-up throughout the year.
- Interdisciplinary intervention plan.
- Specialized teacher for young people with multiple disabilities.
- Maintenance of acquired skills as well as motor, cognitive and communication development.
- A personal care attendant/educator is matched with each student (1:1 ratio) for the year.
- The care attendant/educator creates a permanent direct link to the family and a strong relationship with the student.
- Music therapy sessions and various activities (arts, computer science, sensory stimulation, group activities).
- Work on life skills.
- Respect of differences and each student’s pace.
This program is free.Click on the images to enlarge.
All very young children need stimulation to maximize their development. The paprika program is part of the growth of Philou Center’s mission with an offer focused on the development of meaningful capacities for the child and his or her family in their everyday life activities.
We favour an interdisciplinary approach offered by a team of professionals (physiotherapist, occupational therapist, specialized educator, special needs teacher, and others). The ratio of child to professional is always 1-1. The stimulation objectives are established with parents and regular attending professionals, following a treatment plan agrees upon by all.
The stimulation workshops take place twice a week (monday and Tuesdays or Wednesday and Thursday) for 12 weeks and include an overnight stays on Monday or Wednesday. This two-day schedule with a stay offers respite to parents and maximizes the results of the activities and the children’s development.
Children from 0 to 5 years-old, Quebec residents, with multiple disabilities and whose care can be delegated. An evaluation by Philou Center must be completed prior to admission. Philou Center accepts children with gastrostomy, and tracheotomy; who are epileptic or having trouble to sleep; as well as those who require special care.
Main Aspects of Paprika:
- Evaluation of the child’s capacities by a team of professionals.
- Creation of a treatment plan applied in the child everyday life.
- One-to-one therapies and generalization of learnings through an interdisciplinary manner.
- Wework on: development of motor and cognitive skills, awakening of the senses, life habits (feeding, dressing, hygiene), socialization.
- Methods : arts, music, computer science, multisensory room, black room, group activities/outings, culinary activities.
- Loan of specialized equipment upon request.
The fees for this twelve-week program (24 days - 12 nights) is $2,000.